Equestrianism is not just a hobby, it is a way of life. Once you start, you soon have new habits and friends. Now, if your circle until then was not very much horsey, then sometimes -like me- you will have to confront people that matter to you, but don’t share your new interest. I don’t know about you, but I just can’t stand more arguing. So, here are some arguments that my family members and friends often raise:
- Get a cheaper hobby. Isn’t jogging enough?
- What will happen if the horse spooks and starts kicking and running around like crazy and bucks you off?
- Why spend so much money on clothing, accommodation, food and medical support for a beast that is able to kill you anytime it wants? Better get a doberman; it’s cheaper and can harm you as effectively. Oh, and it fits inside the house!
- What is equine therapy? Better take your medication.
- Why would you wake up early to look after an animal, since you can hardly take care of yourself?
- Look how filthy you are! Don’t you dare to mix your stinky, poo-smelling barn clothes with any other laundry!
What other arguments have you faced? Please tell!